Research activities and expertise
- Structure analysis and stereochemistry – structure analysis of small and medium size molecules – conformation and configuration; stereochemistry of compounds with central and planar chirality; new synthetic and natural biologically active compounds and mixtures - flavones, terpenoids, alkaloids, carbohydrates, antibiotics, nucleotides, fats and oils etc.; chemical profiling and plant metabolomics, steric interactions by 13С NMR spectroscopy; structure and chemistry of phosphorus-containing compounds;
- Molecular mobility – classic dynamic NMR (CLSA), determination of exchange rate constants and thermodynamic parameters in complex multisite exchange systems, tautomeric and conformational equilibria, fluxtional isomerisation; NMR relaxation methods; diffusion NMR spectroscopy (DOSY) for mixture analysis;
- Supramolecular aggregates and complexes – Diffusion ordered NMR spectroscopy (DOSY) for the investigation of molecular self-assembly, aggregation phenomena, interactions and structure of complex fluids, and nanoscale materials with high compositional and morphological complexity, e.g. colloidal systems, including complex surfactant, surfactant-polymer solutions and emulsions, liposomes, polymeric micelles and functionalised hybrid materials, with potential application as drug delivery systems.
- Soft materials - HRMAS NMR of polymeric hydrogels and ionic liquids; diffusion NMR spectroscopy for drop size distribution analysis in emulsions;
- Solid state NMR - basic solid state NMR experiments; Investigation of electrode materials for lithium and sodium ion batteries, complex oxides, ceramics, mesoporous materials and zeolites;
- Computer programs for automatic analysis of multiplets; signal to noise enhancement in NMR spectra; determination of correlation times and activation energies of the overall and internal molecular reorientation; 13С chemical shifts prediction for natural compounds using spectral databases.