Assoc. Prof. Petko Denev, PhD
Laboratory "Biologically Active Substances - Plovdiv"
139 Ruski blvd.; 4000 Plovdiv
Tel: 359 32 64 38 71
Fax: 359 32 64 27 59
The Laboratory of Biologically Active Substances – Plovdiv is founded in 1982 as a division of the Institute of Organic Chemistry with Centre of Phytochemistry - Bulgarian Academy of Sciences.
The main research activities of the laboratory are:
• Isolation, purification, structure modification and characterization of pectic substances and other polysaccharides with biological activity
• Enzyme modification of biologically active polysaccharides.
• Investigation of the antioxidant properties of fruits, vegetables, herbs and mushrooms.
• Isolation and characterization of bioflavonoids (anthocyanins, chatehins, flavonols etc.) from plant materials
• Food chemistry
• Functional Foods: Obtaining, Analysis, Medical Investigations
• Development of technologies for fruit syrups and nectars in collaboration with VITANEA Ltd.